Communicating Alcohol and Health-Related Information

Click to download labelling toolkit

The Portman Group has developed best practice guidance for drinks producers on communicating alcohol and health-related information to consumers across multiple channels, including on-pack and online. We have done so in consultation with the sector trade associations for drinks producers, (BBPA, NACM, SWA and WSTA).

The new guidance supersedes the 2011 guidance agreed under the Department of Health Responsibility Deal Alcohol Network Labelling Pledge. 

The guidance provides icons and best practice options for on pack labelling including three minimum elements:

  • Unit alcohol content per container (and optional per typical serve)
  • Pregnancy logo/message
  • Active signposting to 

In addition to the above elements we provide guidance on how to reflect the revised CMO guidelines on lower risk drinking with wording as agreed with Department of Health, and we have suggested a range of other helpful information which producers could communicate. 

We have agreed, with the Department of Health and Food Standards Agency, a deadline of 1 September 2019 for the removal of out-of-date information.  

The guidance document, and all the icons used within it, are available to download via this link.  

If you have any questions about utilising this guidance please contact the Portman Group advisory service on 020 7290 1460 or

Food Labelling

From 13 December 2014 the 2011 Food Information Regulation will come into force, replacing the 1996 Food Labelling Regulation.

As always, the Portman Group Code of Practice operates alongside the law and the Advisory Service cannot provide legal advice on legislation. 

If you require information about the legislative changes the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has created a guidance document which can be accessed here.

Alternatively, Trading Standards will shortly be releasing a guide on the provision of food information to consumers in line with the Food Information Regulation.  If you require more detailed guidance we would recommend contacting your Local Trading Standards service.

The International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD) has a reference table which provides an overview of alcohol labelling requirements in various countries, to view the table please click here.